One of our staples during all of our holiday meals is Collard Greens. I wanted to create a tasty vegetarian options because the holiday season would not be the same without them on my plate. They have been endorsed from my family members from the south so you know they are good! Enjoy!
1 bunch fresh collard greens
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
Sea salt and pepper to taste
1 medium yellow onion, chopped
6-8 cloves of garlic, crushed
1 cup vegetable broth
Juice of 1/2 lemon
2-3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
1. Clean the collard greens and strip them from the stalk.
2. Stack 5 or 6 leaves on top of one another and roll them up so they look like a green cigar. Cut across the cigar to make thin strips.
3. In a large pot, over medium heat, add the olive oil, salt, pepper and chopped onions. Sauté until onions are translucent.
4. Add garlic, collard greens and vegetable broth. If you are adding cayenne pepper add it now.
5. Simmer on medium-low head for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally to make sure that the greens are cooking evenly.
6. Add lemon juice and vinegar, and cook for another 15-20 minutes or until greens are tender.